This thick and creamy chocolate avocado smoothie bowl is full of healthy fats and the perfect canvas for your favorite chocolate-complementing toppings!
If you’ve known me for a hot second, you know I love chocolate. And avocados. And smoothies.
I also love breakfasts that keep me full for a good long while. Especially on weekends.
Enough said. The chocolate avocado smoothie bowl was born.
This recipe makes a huge bowl. I mean huge. I can down the whole thing, but if you want to split it with someone, well, lucky them.
I need protein with my breakfast, so I usually have some eggs on the side, but if you top the smoothie bowl with nuts or nut butter (or Greek yogurt–there’s an idea), you have some protein built in. You could also add a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
The avocado, coconut flour, and pinch of xanthan gum if you have it, make this smoothie bowl nice and thick and creamy, but if you’d rather drink your smoothie instead of spooning it, you can always add more water/milk of choice and less ice.
I love this topped with raspberries (fresh or frozen, depending on what I’ve got on hand), peanut butter, walnuts, and hemp hearts, but it’s also scrumptious with a sliced banana, crushed macadamias, shredded dried coconut, and a drizzle of almond butter.
- 1 whole avocado, about 5 oz
- 1 Tbsp cocoa power unsweetened unprocessed
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or other sweetener to taste
- dash vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum optional
- 1 cup water or milk of choice, plus more as necessary
- 2 cups ice
- Add all ingredients to blender, except ice and xanthan gum.
- Blend thirty seconds while sprinkling in xanthan gum.
- Let sit a few minutes to thicken.
- Add ice and blend. If you have a Vitamix, use the smoothie function. Add water/milk and use the blending stick as necessary.
- Serve in a bowl (or two if you're sharing). Top with whatever toppings strike your fancy! Some of my faves: Raspberries, peanut butter, walnuts, hemp hearts Sliced banana, macadamias, shredded dried coconut, almond butter