Creamiest salted chocolate custard protein shake, featuring cocoa powder, coconut oil, sea salt, and eggs to up the creaminess and give it a protein boost.
Salted chocolate, I adore you. Well, salted dark chocolate.
What is it about salted chocolate that makes it so magical? It’s by far my favorite, although I recently found myself dreaming about this chai chocolate bar from Theo Chocolate. Which is milk chocolate. I never dream about milk chocolate.
We have family in the Seattle area and several years ago while we were visiting them, they took us to the Theo Chocolate factory for a tour. And, of course, chocolate tasting afterwards. A room filled with samples of every chocolate, everywhere. So. Much. Chocolate. Talk about magical. Put it on your bucket list.
Now let’s talk about the custard side of things. You can’t make custard without eggs.
I just looked it up to make sure and the definition says “with eggs.” Then I looked up vegan custard and there are recipes for vegan custard. So take my statement with a grain of salt. But, this creamiest salted chocolate custard protein shake is custard-inspired. And it has eggs.
You cook the eggs, though, so need to worry about salmonella if you’re concerned.
Goodness, this shake has TWO of my favorite things. Salted chocolate and eggs. I would say I’m embarrassed by how many eggs I go through in a week, but I’m not actually embarrassed, so I won’t.
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- hefty pinch sea salt
- 1/4 xanthan gum, optional
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Heat a small pan over medium low heat. Add coconut oil or butter and eggs. Stir until eggs are cooked through.
- To your blender, add all ingredients except ice and xanthan gum, including cooked eggs. Blend, sprinkling in xanthan gum if using.
- Add ice and blend. Pour into a tall glass and top with shaved chocolate (kind of sort of not really optional). Drink it up!